Tuesday, September 1, 2009

social networking by libraries -quite a cool idea

A jolly good idea. I was checking through the list on the wiki
and one site in particular stood out -- Hennepin Library -- especially for what we do at the learning centres. They have on their Facebook page, links to a number of movies created for their "quiet on the set" short movie competition. The Dewey Dating system one was quaint - made me smile -- and could be used in a number of different ways-- but the others looked worth exploring. Not sure what the age range was as I haven't checked that out.
Can't do everything at the moment as I am trying to catch up on these tasks.

The link on the wiki to to the My space site for Arapahoe library was not what I expected and reinforced my lack of interest in My Space as a social networking tool. My hair is too grey.

As with all of this sort of thing or any marketing there is still the question of HOW do you get people to go the Facebook page or whatever. If they don't see it or become involved it is not really very useful after all just a fun toy for the people who run it and it does need someone to run it or oversee it as the Social Networking librarian blog comments on. I know a number of people who are Facebook addicts ( they have a lot of time on their hands) and they could even become library addicts if we teased them into it through a medium they are already using.

That is another topic again-- What did these people do with their time before such things came along????

One thing I am getting from this CCllearn programme is the knowledge that I need many many more hours in the day to explore all the things which are or possibly are relevant to my role. I just tried to reserve the book

Castles against ignorance: how to make libraries great educational environments
from our library catalogue to do some more reading. Only copy in NZ is at North shore libraries and I am not that dedicated.

The whole thing has potential though.

No comments: